Complaints procedure

If at any stage the Client feels concern about the service Winter Scott are providing or the level of Winter Scott’s charges, the Client should contact the Responsible Partner / Associate (or the Supervising Partner, if any). It is Winter Scott’s policy always to be ready to discuss any points of concern with the Client. In the event that the Responsible Lawyer is not a Partner, and the Client would for any reason whatsoever prefer to discuss any aspect of the matter, or any concern about Winter Scott’s service, with a Partner, the Client should contact the Supervising Partner in the first instance. However, and in any event, the Client may if it prefers contact Winter Scott’s senior partner, Glenn Winter.

If having made a complaint to Winter Scott under our internal Complaints Procedure, the Client remains unhappy with our response, the Client may be able to ask the Legal Ombudsman to consider the complaint.

If the Client wants to contact the Legal Ombudsman, the Client should call 0300 555 0333, email them at or write to them at PO Box 15870, Birmingham B30 9EB. Before accepting a complaint for investigation, the Legal Ombudsman will check that you have tried to resolve your complaint with us first. If you have, then you must take your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman:

  • Within six months of receiving a final response to your complaint


  • No more than six years from the date of act/omission; or
  • No more than three years from when you should reasonably have known there was cause for complaint.
  • If you would like more information about the Legal Ombudsman, please contact them.

Alternatively, the Client may be entitled to have our charges reviewed by the court. The procedure is set out in Part III of the Solicitors Act 1974. The Client should be aware that there are strict time limits applicable to this procedure and the Client may therefore wish to seek independent legal advice. Winter Scott may also be entitled to charge interest on any outstanding sums from any invoices that are unpaid in full or part.